Tuesday, October 30, 2018

YW in Excellence - Standards Night


Young Women in Excellence 2018 - Standards Night
We decided our girls needed a good reminder of the standards that are set from For the Strength of Youth. I feel like limits are constantly pushed as we bend the rules and make exceptions for choices we make.


The Bishop spoke along with me and talked about the Savior vs Satan. The Savior teaches line upon line, precept upon precept. Satan teaches lie upon lie, deceit upon deceit. He also talked about the standard height for a basketball hoop. The standard is set no matter the height of the player (he compared Shaquille O'Neal to some short player I didn't know and can't remember) Standards aren't meant to be raised or lowered depending on the person, the standard is set and its up to us to keep to our Standards. We love our Bishop!


For my talk, I made a spiritual warrior by dressing a volunteer in 8 pieces of armor that represented the 8 values. My secretary works at a seminary building (as a secretary - imagine that!) and was able to hook me up with some legit looking armor from one of the teachers. One of my counselors also had a friend (whom i've never met) who made us a girdle simply out of the goodness of her heart. There really are amazing people out there and I'm grateful for that random act of kindness that saved my bacon ;)


Here is the link to my value armor references. 

I issued a challenge to our girls to complete their personal progress and earn their medallions in ONE year. The plan changes in 2020 and I really want to push them to finish! I found a cute blog with a 12 week plan, so I used that, but adapted it to make it a yearly plan. Here is the link to print the 12 month plan.








The girls all made "standard" flags, or their own "Title of Liberty" where they decorated flags with their standards or things they are willing to fight for. I thought they turned out cute.





Jeff and I made the wooden "scroll" frames shown above to hold their pics for the year. Super cheap and easy to make. Wood, magnets, twine and super glue ;)






We got a Ward Photographer this year (I didn't actually know there could be a calling for that) so she took all the pictures and did an amazing job! We went to the Jordan River Temple and were done in less than an hour. The pics turned out fabulous! One of my favorite photo sessions so far. 




















 



2018 was a great year for the Georgetown Young Women!

No comments:

Post a Comment