Thursday, December 28, 2017

Temple Square Scavenger Hunt

For our combined YM/YW activity in December, our ward has a tradition of going to temple square to see the lights. As the "Light The World" challenge has come out, we've added to the tradition by handing out candy canes that go along with what the challenge is on the day of the activity. This year, the scripture passage on the day of our activity was "Blessed are they that mourn." My laurel class president was in charge of the quote for the candy canes. She printed this cute one out and I tied them to the candy canes. We gave a candy cane to each youth to hand out to whoever they thought needed some cheering up while we were out and about.

I thought instead of herding 30+ youth around temple square this year, (after some bad experiences last year)  I would split everyone into groups for a scavenger hunt. The youth in our ward always go with the same kids, so I assigned them to groups and made them all get to know other kids. Some of them were not so happy with me ha!
Here is what we came up with. The youth actually had a lot of fun, and I got to know some of the Young Men I hadn't met before. One of the boys in my group gave his candy cane to a little old lady working at a desk in the Joseph Smith memorial building. Her whole face lit up, and she thanked him over and over! The boy was surprised at how much she loved a simple candy cane, and I had to keep myself from bawling! Such a neat experience.




My mom sent me this afterwards from a co-workers mutual activity. I thought it was so neat that the hunt went along with scriptures. I will be adjusting this version for our scavenger hunt next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment